08 September 2024

Occupants conduct searches in the homes of Crimean Tatars whose relatives are fighting in the Armed Forces of Ukraine

(Photo: Shutterstock)

In the occupied Crimea, Russian security forces are conducting searches in the homes of Crimean Tatars, including those whose relatives are fighting in the Armed Forces of Ukraine against Russia.

This was reported by the head of the Crimean Human Rights Group (CHRG) Olga Skrypnyk, according to Suspilne Krym.

According to Skrypnyk, such searches began in March 2022.

"It was then that the FSB officers called explanatory conversations that they should not contact, they should not pass on information to their own, that this could be considered espionage and everything else. We understand that they have lists of people who are being watched separately, and there is an additional risk for the families of military personnel and other civil servants of Ukraine," said Skrypnyk.

She emphasized that these people are being held hostage by the occupation authorities. Skrypnyk pointed out that this is a standard tactic of the occupiers.

"Now they may be updating the lists again, because this work is ongoing, and it is not the first time they have visited Crimean Tatar families," she added.

At the same time, the human rights initiative "Tribunal. The Crimean Episode", citing representatives of the human rights initiative "Irade", reported that on September 4, similar searches took place in the house of the parents of Ismail Khalikov, who previously served as the Representative of the Ombudsman of Ukraine for the observance of the rights of residents of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol. These measures of the occupiers were connected with the information about his service in the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

"Contrary to the recent practice, this time the 'masked men' did not storm the house and did not put everyone face down on the floor. They read out the resolution to conduct the inspection and even ensured the real presence of 'representatives of the public' who usually appear only on paper. As a result of the inspection, one cell phone was seized," the statement reads.

The CHRG Head of the Board is convinced that such actions of the Russian security forces are pressure on people.

"This is indeed a form of pressure, because we understand that this is, first of all, a hint, that we are on your pencil, so to speak. And potentially, it is also a threat, and at any time cases against such people can be fabricated," Skrypnyk said.

You may also like:

Aug. 18, 2026

A resident of the Kherson region fought against the Ukrainian Armed Forces as a member of "Storm-Z" and will stand trial

Madyar announced new European UAVs for the Kherson sector

The director of an agricultural company owned by Kherson Mayor Kolykhaev was convicted of aiding the Russian Federation

Aug. 17, 2026

Scientists from the Hermitage have been charged with looting a Crimean archaeological site

In Crimea, the occupiers plan to replace hot school meals with dry rations

In July, the occupiers destroyed more than 10,000 trees and plants in "Askania-Nova"

Fuel Right at Your Fingertips: 5 Reasons Why Businesses Are Choosing Mini Gas Stations Advertisement

The SBU detained a Russian informant in the Kherson region who was directing unmanned aerial vehicles at the Ukrainian Armed Forces

Did the occupiers accuse a 54-year-old Crimean man of collaborating with the SBU?

Evacuees from Kherson were stranded in a field for four hours: The Red Cross released photos

Dragon Logistics: Hassle-Free Shipping from China Advertisement

The jewelry industry in Ukraine has been growing for the fifth consecutive year: Odesa Oblast is among the leaders

In the Kherson region, 6 people have been wounded as a result of Russian attacks, and there are power outages

Aug. 16, 2026

A bathhouse attendant from Kakhovka was sentenced to 12 years by the occupiers

Electricity has been rationed in Crimea, and water has been cut off in 35 settlements