Nov. 4, 2025, 10:15 a.m.

The accused in the murder of Demian Hanul said that he was misled

(Sergei Shalaev in the courtroom. PHOTO: Suspilne Odesa)

During the court hearing on November 3, 46-year-old Serhiy Shalaev, accused of the murder of Demian Hanul , addressed the relatives of the victim, apologized and stated that he had been misled about the activist's identity.

At the court hearing, the lawyer stated that the suspect, Serhiy Shalaev, was psychologically vulnerable at the time of the murder, as he was a former military man, Suspilne reported.

"If I had known what kind of person Demian was at the time, I would have directed the weapons they provided at those customers. I realize that there is no forgiveness for me, and there is no forgiveness for my crime either. Zhanna Yurievna, Vadim Mikhailovich, forgive me," he said.

The murder of the Odesa activist took place on March 14 in the Prymorsky district of Odesa. The man who shot Demian Hanul fled the scene. Within hours, police detained the suspect, 46-year-old Serhiy Shalaev, a former senior lieutenant.

However, the relatives of the victim continue to insist on life imprisonment for Shalaev and do not believe in his repentance.

"Of course I don't believe it. The only thing he has to do is talk about his remorse. He had enough time, he started planning this crime back in December 2024, and in February 20225 he came to Odesa to execute it. I think this is a way to reduce the punishment," said Zhanna Voznyuk, the wife of the murdered Demian Hanul.

Demian Hanul, who was 31 years old, was a well-known public figure, blogger and leader of the Street Front organization. In 2014-2016, he was the head of the Right Sector's power unit in Odesa. Hanul took an active part in the Revolution of Dignity and the clashes of May 2, 2014, opposing pro-Russian forces.

Demian's father, Vadym Hanul, also does not believe the suspect's apology. He noted that, in his opinion, the military has a keen sense of justice, and it is impossible to mislead a person who knows what a fellow soldier is. The investigation has not yet identified the orderers of the murder.

Earlier, a court in Odesa sentenced the organizer of the murder of two civil society activists. The accused pleaded guilty and agreed to a simplified trial. Gennadiy Beibutyan and Demyan Hanul. The court sentenced the defendant to 14 years in prison with confiscation of property.

Кирило Бойко

Також Вам може сподобатись:

Feb. 16, 2026

Billion-dollar tax evasion scheme uncovered in Odesa region

Auditors appeal to the Prosecutor's Office after checking children's clinic in Odesa

Russian governor sentenced to prison for supplying equipment to the occupying army in Kherson region

A case on a brazen warehouse was sent to court in Odesa

Case of border guards and fake fans sent to court in Odesa region

More than 15 settlements in Odesa region affected by floods

Restoration Service explains what happened to the Odesa-Kyiv highway

Odesa resident detained on suspicion of guiding Russians to city's energy facilities

Law enforcers launch investigation against Kherson school director

Lysak decides to revise advertising rates in Odesa

In Odesa, TCC fighters suffered eye burns due to tear gas

Car explodes in Odesa in the morning

Woman arrested in Kherson for spying for aggressor country

Feb. 15, 2026

New Head Appointed to Odesa Specialized Defense Prosecutor's Office

Power engineers complete repair of the emergency section that caused power outage in Odesa