March 16, 2025, 1:15 p.m.

Suspect Detained for Murder of Odesa Activist Demian Hanul, Possible Russian Involvement

(Photo: Ihor Klymenko)

The man who was detained for the murder of Odesa activist Demian Hanul has been served a notice of suspicion.

This was reported by Eduard Pleshko, a spokesman for the specialized defense prosecutor's office in the southern region, to Suspilne.

The man was served with a notice of suspicion under paragraph 11 of part 2 of Article 115, part 1 of Article 263 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine - premeditated murder committed on the order and illegal handling of weapons.

The prosecutor's office, added Eduard Pleshko, asks the court to send him to custody without the alternative of bail.

Earlier, the police reported the existence of three main versions that could have caused the murder of Odesa activist Demian Hanul, including the possibility of a crime ordered by Russian special services.

Earlier, the wife of Odesa activist Demian Hanul, Zhanna Voznyuk, commented on the murder of her husband and told what she said to him for the last time. The man suspected of killing the activist was detained the same day. A weapon that was allegedly used to commit the crime was found in the apartment where he was hiding.

Before that, Hanul had already reported that people posing as military officers had tried to kill him.

According to the investigation, at about 10:30 in the center of Odesa, a man fired several shots at Demian Hanul. He died on the spot from his injuries.

Also, the Minister of Internal Affairs Ihor Klymenko said that he would take the investigation into the murder of Demian Hanul under his personal control.

Earlier, Ganul had already reported that people posing as military personnel tried to kill him.

The activist said that he was called to a meeting by the military to find out how he could help them. But when he arrived at the meeting, in a city cafe, the interlocutors began to behave aggressively and accused him of helping different units besides theirs with cars.

Кирило Бойко

Також Вам може сподобатись:

Feb. 17, 2026

Three people were injured in Odesa by Russian attack at night

Feb. 16, 2026

Billion-dollar tax evasion scheme uncovered in Odesa region

Auditors appeal to the Prosecutor's Office after checking children's clinic in Odesa

A case on a brazen warehouse was sent to court in Odesa

Case of border guards and fake fans sent to court in Odesa region

More than 15 settlements in Odesa region affected by floods

Restoration Service explains what happened to the Odesa-Kyiv highway

Odesa resident detained on suspicion of guiding Russians to city's energy facilities

Lysak decides to revise advertising rates in Odesa

In Odesa, TCC fighters suffered eye burns due to tear gas

Car explodes in Odesa in the morning

Feb. 15, 2026

New Head Appointed to Odesa Specialized Defense Prosecutor's Office

Power engineers complete repair of the emergency section that caused power outage in Odesa

The court canceled the arrest of the Anka vessel, which is now in Reni

State Corporation failed to sell spoiled corn in Odesa region again