Feb. 11, 2025, 9:29 a.m.

Kherson Region Faces Funding Crisis as USAID Support is Suspended

(Photo: Screenshot from the video)

Kherson region will not receive the planned 110 million hryvnias from the US agency USAID in 2025. These funds were to be used to restore irrigation systems and implement other important projects. The reason was US President Donald Trump's decision to temporarily suspend foreign aid programs.

As Oleksandr Prokudin, head of the Kherson Regional State Administration, said at a press conference, the region is currently actively looking for other sources of funding, as the cessation of aid will significantly affect the economic and social situation in the region.

"I want to say that USAID has been a great help. We received a large amount of medical equipment for hospitals, communities received municipal equipment, fuel, generators, farmers received seeds, as well as crop storage facilities and business grants. Therefore, we are now looking for an alternative in all these areas," the official said.

The funding freeze is a result of Trump's new policy on international aid. He has previously stated that USAID was "run by radical lunatics" and is considering merging it with the US State Department. At the same time, billionaire Elon Musk said that Trump supports the idea of completely closing the agency.

<span><span>Recently, the mayor of Mykolaiv </span></span>, Oleksandr Senkevych,<span><span>announced the termination of funding for projects in Mykolaiv </span></span>.

Meanwhile, the Odesa-based independent media outlet Intent, which has been informing residents about events in the region for more than 15 years, has faced financial difficulties. The publication has always operated without the support of business or politics, has not received state funds and has maintained its independence.

Previously, international grants covered a significant part of the costs, but due to changes in the global context, funding has decreased. The editorial board appeals to all concerned to support independent journalism. Despite the difficulties, the publication does not intend to give up and is confident that Ukrainians will help preserve honest and professional journalism in the city.

Ірина Глухова

Також Вам може сподобатись:

Feb. 20, 2026

500 million planned for electronic intelligence and protection of population in Kherson

Passing intelligence in Kherson cost Russian agent life imprisonment

Enemy army attacks railroad, factory and village club in Kherson region

Traitor from Kherson region sentenced for serving in enemy army

Feb. 19, 2026

Court terminates contract for repair of Kherson school worth 2.6 million

Germany invests one million euros in energy security of Kherson region

In Odesa, US senators call for increased pressure on the aggressor country

World Police Launches Search for Stolen Valuables from Kherson Museums by Russia

Feb. 18, 2026

World War Zero

Fake deputy from Kherson region teaches schoolchildren to love the occupiers

Occupants shelled two buildings of Kherson State University

Odesa region is among the outsiders in terms of profits from subsoil

Kherson City Council prepares audit of budget expenditures in 2026

State Bureau of Investigation investigates the circumstances of the death of the crew of the Kherson air brigade

Feb. 17, 2026

Russian troops shelled a hospital in Kherson three times in one day