21 March 2026

Judge from Odesa region failed to appeal against her suspension

(Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi court. PHOTO: Facebook)

The High Council of Justice has postponed consideration of the complaint of Natalia Cheban, a judge of the Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi City District Court of Odesa Oblast, against the decision of the Second Disciplinary Chamber of the HCJ to bring her to disciplinary responsibility.

This was reported by the press service of the Council of Justice.

The decision was made on January 14. The complaint against the judge was filed by the acting head of the court, Yulia Shevchuk. She said that after the Presidential decree appointing Natalia Cheban to the position for an indefinite period of time was issued at the end of 2021, she did not report to work, continuously taking various types of leave, including unpaid leave.

The meeting of judges of the Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi City District Court of Odesa Oblast twice - in April 2024 and February 2025 - recommended that Natalia Cheban return to the administration of justice after the expiration of the leave period specified in other orders.

The judge insisted that she had the right not to return to work, as she had been granted unpaid leave by the order of the head of the court for the entire period of martial law in Ukraine, which was extended by the Verkhovna Rada each time. In addition, she believes that the order of the head of the court granting her leave for 90 days, i.e. for the duration of martial law, was forged, and she reported this to the State Bureau of Investigation, which opened a criminal case.

In addition, the judge said that she could not return to her workplace until martial law was lifted in Ukraine. After all, according to the legislation of Norway, where she and her child received collective protection, there is a ban for such persons to return home until martial law ends. This statement outraged the judges, as they did not understand why Natalia Cheban considered it necessary to comply with Norwegian law while neglecting her duties as a judge in Ukraine. As a result, the Second Chamber of the High Council of Justice suspended the judge from work, and the judge, although she did not administer justice, decided to appeal this decision.

Кирило Бойко

You may also like:

Aug. 18, 2026

A resident of the Kherson region fought against the Ukrainian Armed Forces as a member of "Storm-Z" and will stand trial

The director of the Odesa region's finance department received 1.4 million from real estate

The History of Odesa Through Antiques: An Exhibition Opens at the Bleshchunov Museum

"From Sailing Ships to Steel Giants": How the Logic of Naval Warfare Has Changed

The Odessa Literary Festival PORT Unveiled This Year's Program

The Odessa Film Festival Has Announced Its Program for Film Professionals

A native of Odessa became the European swimming champion, setting a Ukrainian record

The Odessa Regional Military Prosecutor's Office's Response to Allegations of Torture Against 10 Military Personnel

More than 10 million was allocated to kindergartens in the Odesa region

The court kept the mayor of Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi in custody but reduced his bail

They beat, choked, and rammed a car: 10 soldiers from the Odessa Territorial Military Command have been charged

The director of an agricultural company owned by Kherson Mayor Kolykhaev was convicted of aiding the Russian Federation

The body of a judge who had been released from pretrial detention was found in the Odesa region

A ship has been damaged; there are casualties and injured: The Russian military has launched strikes on the south

Aug. 17, 2026

Scientists from the Hermitage have been charged with looting a Crimean archaeological site