12 August 2025

Suspect in the murder of Demian Hanul left in jail for another month

(Photo: Suspilne)

An Odesa court has extended the preventive measure for 46-year-old Serhiy Shalaev, who is suspected of murdering Odesa activist Demian Hanul.

This was reported by the Suspilne media outlet, citing Eduard Pleshko, a spokesman for the specialized defense prosecutor's office in the southern region.

The court hearing took place on August 11 in the Kyiv District Court of Odesa. The measure of restraint, namely detention, was due to expire on August 14. The court extended his detention for 30 days - until September 14.

Currently, Serhiy Shalaev is in a pre-trial detention center without the right to be released on bail. He is suspected of premeditated murder committed for hire and illegal handling of weapons.

Demian Hanul, who was 31 years old, was a well-known public figure, blogger and leader of the Street Front organization. In 2014-2016, he was the head of the Right Sector's power unit in Odesa. Hanul took an active part in the Revolution of Dignity and the clashes of May 2, 2014, opposing pro-Russian forces.

On May 9, a court in Odesa extended the arrest for two months for Serhiy Shalaev, who is accused of murdering activist Demian Hanul.

The murder of the Odesa activist took place on March 14 in the Prymorskyi district of Odesa. The man who shot Demian Hanul fled the scene. Within hours, police detained the suspect, 46-year-old Serhiy Shalaev, a former senior lieutenant. In the apartment where he was hiding, they found a weapon that was probably the instrument of the crime. The police opened a criminal investigation into the murder of the public figure. The incident was classified as a premeditated murder committed to order.

Investigators are considering three main versions of the crime: a contract killing organized by Russian special services, liquidation due to the activist's public activities, and personal animosity. However, the latter version, according to law enforcement officials, is unlikely, as the killer and the victim did not even know each other. The National Police is working on the investigation together with the SBU.

Earlier, the wife of Odesa activist Demian Hanul, Zhanna Voznyuk, commented on the murder of her husband and told what she said to him for the last time.

On March 19, activist Demian Hanul was laid to rest in Odesa. An international photojournalist was present at the funeral ceremony.

Before that, Ganul had already reported that people posing as military officers tried to kill him.

Кирило Бойко

You may also like:

Aug. 17, 2026

Scientists from the Hermitage have been charged with looting a Crimean archaeological site

A film about the Danube Delta won at an international film festival

Romania's Defense Minister Described How the Country Prepared to Shoot Down Drones

Odessa lawmakers called for an inspection of the decommissioned Duka

A curfew for transit vehicles has been lifted in the Odesa region

Andriy Krasnozhon: "Catherine II was not the founder of Odesa and did not consider herself to be one"

A Russian "Bandero" jet drone crossed the border with Moldova

Fuel Right at Your Fingertips: 5 Reasons Why Businesses Are Choosing Mini Gas Stations Advertisement

An archaeologist presented evidence that Odessa existed before Catherine II

Dragon Logistics: Hassle-Free Shipping from China Advertisement

In Odessa, the director of the municipal enterprise "SMEP" resigned from his position

The jewelry industry in Ukraine has been growing for the fifth consecutive year: Odesa Oblast is among the leaders

Odesa Region Reveals Number of Millionaires

The State Bureau of Investigation Uncovered a Scheme Involving Fictitious Livestock Numbers in the Odesa Region

The number of people injured in the attack on a shopping center near Odesa has risen to 7