31 October 2025

In Odesa, witnesses in the case of the head of the Kherson SIZO were heard

(Ihor Huryakov. PHOTO: mipl.org.ua)

In Odesa, the former head of the Kherson SIZO, Igor Guryakov, is on trial for allegedly collaborating with the occupiers. Witnesses claim that he acted under duress and protected prisoners.

This was reported by the Media Initiative for Human Rights.

The investigation claims that he voluntarily appeared in propaganda videos, calling for cooperation with the enemy. The accused himself denies guilt, explaining that he remained in office to take care of hundreds of prisoners who were not evacuated.

His deputy, Yevhen Usachov, is on trial together with him, accused under similar circumstances. At the same time, both of them appear as victims in a war crime case - they are being tried in absentia against the Russian military who tortured them and other Ukrainians.

Two defense witnesses, former employees of the Kherson Detention Center, were interrogated at the hearing of the Khadzhibey District Court of Odesa. The first witness said that on February 24, 2022, the employees gathered for an alarm, and the head announced that he would work under Ukrainian law. When questions arose about his actions during the arrival of the occupiers, Guryakov replied:"Everyone has their own head". The witness confirmed that in April and early May, the administration and employees wrote numerous letters to the Ministry of Justice, the Security Service of Ukraine, and the Armed Forces of Ukraine asking for guidance on how to work under occupation, but received no response.

The second witness confirmed that he had been defending a pro-Ukrainian position. She said that at the time of the invasion, the employees remained on the territory of the SIZO, organized meals for prisoners and court hearings via mobile communication.

The lawyers insisted that the defendant's participation in the video was under duress, under torture by the Russian military. Igor Guryakov has been in custody since November 2022. The court has repeatedly refused to change the measure of restraint to a more lenient one. Even after he was allowed to post bail in February 2023, the Court of Appeal returned him to custody. The next hearing is scheduled for December 18.

In mid-May 2022, Russians kidnapped the head of the Kherson SIZO , Igor Guryakov, and his deputy, Yevhen Usachov. Later, Russian channels showed a video in which he urged the staff of the institution to continue working, said that he had cooperated with the SBU, and appealed to the Russians to strengthen security and prevent riots against the occupiers.

Анна Бальчінос

You may also like:

Aug. 18, 2026

The Odessa Regional Military Prosecutor's Office's Response to Allegations of Torture Against 10 Military Personnel

More than 10 million was allocated to kindergartens in the Odesa region

The court kept the mayor of Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi in custody but reduced his bail

They beat, choked, and rammed a car: 10 soldiers from the Odessa Territorial Military Command have been charged

The director of an agricultural company owned by Kherson Mayor Kolykhaev was convicted of aiding the Russian Federation

The body of a judge who had been released from pretrial detention was found in the Odesa region

A ship has been damaged; there are casualties and injured: The Russian military has launched strikes on the south

Aug. 17, 2026

Scientists from the Hermitage have been charged with looting a Crimean archaeological site

A film about the Danube Delta won at an international film festival

Romania's Defense Minister Described How the Country Prepared to Shoot Down Drones

Odessa lawmakers called for an inspection of the decommissioned Duka

A curfew for transit vehicles has been lifted in the Odesa region

Andriy Krasnozhon: "Catherine II was not the founder of Odesa and did not consider herself to be one"

A Russian "Bandero" jet drone crossed the border with Moldova

In July, the occupiers destroyed more than 10,000 trees and plants in "Askania-Nova"