Меню
Соціальні мережі
Розділи
Feb. 21, 2026, 1:04 p.m.
A film by a US journalist about Kherson became part of the Stop Human Safari campaign
This article also available in English1
The Stop Human Safari campaign. PHOTOS: Zarina Zabriskie
A documentary by an American journalist about Kherson has become part of the global Stop Human Safari campaign. The film showcases the stories of local residents and seeks to convey critical information to politicians in order to change the situation in the city.
In an interview with Vgoru, Zabriskie told us why she didn't expect to be selected for the festival, how her film got to American politicians, and why it is important for Kherson residents to tell their own stories about life in the city under fire.
Zarina Zabriskie, a journalist and filmmaker who continues to work in Kherson under fire, presented her documentary Kherson: Human Safari" to American politicians on Capitol Hill and at the International Documentary Festival in Berlin. The film, which is available in the public domain, is part of the global Stop Human Safari campaign to draw the world's attention to the situation in the city.
The film shows the life of Kherson during the war, including drone attacks, shelling, and stories of local residents. The director emphasized that the film's goal is not to win awards, but to convey critical information to politicians and influential people so that they can make decisions and help the city.
"I don't want my stories to be like pieces of ice melting in a big pot of water and not affecting anything. I want them to change the situation, to help save what's left of Kherson," said Zabriskie.
The film's team includes Ukrainian cameraman Oleksandr Andriushchenko, editorial director of the Odesa-based Suspilne TV channel Artem Tsynskyi and other specialists. The film was released on June 29, 2025, and immediately attracted the attention of major media, producers and distributors.
The screenings in Berlin and the United States were not limited to the film: after the screening, the US government began discussing a legislative initiative in support of Kherson, including sanctions against drone operators and manufacturers who use drones against civilians.
Zabriskie also launched the global Stop Human Safari campaign, in which people in different countries come out with posters and publish videos or posts with the hashtags #StopHumanSafari and #SaveKherson. The initiative has already covered more than fifty cities around the world and encourages Kherson residents to share their stories without being in danger.
The journalist said that this is only the first film in a trilogy. The second film is almost complete and will tell the story of the city intertwined with the war. The third film will be dedicated to the defenders of Kherson.
The documentaryKherson: Human Safari" shows the whole path of Kherson - from the first days of the invasion in 2022, through the occupation, resistance, liberation and to today's massive drone strikes. The film's trailer was released at the end of May last year.
The film gained a lot of traction due to the conclusion of the UN Commission of Inquiry, which recognized the systematic drone attacks on Kherson as crimes against humanity and war crimes.
